Torta De Hojas11 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 1 hr
“I loved this recipe 27 years ago when I was in Chile. I haven't made it in years, but I do remember my family really enjoyed it.” - by ILIKECAKES
Original recipe yields 1 - 9 inch layer cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Mix together the flour and baking powder; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Blend in the egg yolks, one at a time. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk. The dough will be stiff like a cookie dough. Divide the dough into 10 pieces and shape into balls. Roll each ball into a 9 inch circle. Place on cookie sheets and prick with a fork in several places.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside.
- Make the Caramel Filling: In a sauce pan, boil the unopened cans of sweetened condensed milk for 3 hours. Monitor the water closely, to make sure there is always water in the pan. Remove can from heat and let cool for 10 to 15 minutes. In a small measuring cup, combine the brandy and water.
- Place one cookie layer on serving plate. Sprinkle with brandy mixture, then spread with the now thickened condensed milk. Sprinkle with nuts. Continue stacking until all layers are used.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 575 cal
- 26.6 g
- 69.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (11)Rate This Recipe
"Hi everyone! so, i live in chile where this is a very popular cake. But it is a very intense cake, a little piece will go a loooooooong way, thats why several bakerys here have started to include past..." See morery cream in it. so along with the "manjar" that is the thickend condensed milk, you put one layer of pastry cream and one layer of manjar. To make the manjar more spreadable you need to do this: whip up 3/4 cup of whipping cream and fold in to the manjar. this makes a less intense cake. if you want the intense cake use the manjar mixture without the pastry cream layers. if you use the pastry cream it will still be very intense! You can also make 3 different layeres: whipping cream, pastry cream and manjar. this will make it a lighter cake, BUT STILL INTENSE! to decorate spread a thin layer of manjar over and around the cake and sprinkle generously with walnuts. it can also be shredded coconut. you can be creative with this. people here even make it with manjar, raspberry jam and pastry cream! "
"This recipe is an amazing authentic Chilean cake also known as “Torta de Mil Hojas” or “Thousand Layers Cake.” I made this for my Chilean husband’s birthday and he was very impressed with the results..." See more. I rolled each layer out as thin as possible then I cut out the layers by using a 9” round cake pan as a template so all my layers were uniform. Make sure you only cook the layers until they are just lightly brown, if you wait too long they will dry out too much and taste burnt. My oven isn’t large at all so I could only cook 2 layers at a time. It took a loooonnng time to make everything and put it all together; the est cook time of 1 hour is way off. If I included the cooking time for the sweetened condensed milk, the whole cake took me about 5 hours to put together, but it was totally worth it. Also, the longer the cake sits, the more the caramel penetrates the layers so the better it tastes!"
"This dessert came out fabulous! I had eaten it years ago at a Chilean friends house, and mine came out just as good. I added a bit more butter to the pastry just so that it was more flaky and would re..." See moreduce the chance of it drying out. Mine baked for about 15 mins and the layers were perfect. A trick to cut down the 'dulce de leche' prep time. Put the can of condensed milk completely submerged in a pressure cooker and cook under full pressure for 20 mins. I have done it many times and it come out perfect and in a fraction of the time. It's nice to assemble it and leave in the refrigerator the day before or early in the day before serving as the layers get a bit moist and kind of mesh into each other nicely."
French Apple Tart (Tarte de Pommes a la Normande)
Sweet Ponche de Creme
Just swipe to see more like this.