Ukrainian Sour Cream Poppy Seed Cake6 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 1 day 2 hr 30 min
“This cake is very light, tender, and tasty. It's fun to make and fun to eat. Two layers of sour cream poppy seed cake, with a luscious lemon filling. Frost with a white buttercream or cooked white frosting.” - by Olga
Original recipe yields 1 9-inch cake
- Pour boiling water over the poppy seeds in a bowl and drain well over a fine sieve. If necessary, repeat this washing. Spread the poppy seeds on a tea towel or brown paper and let dry overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 9-inch pans and line bottoms with parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and 1 1/2 cups sugar until thick and lemon colored. Beat in the sour cream and vanilla. Sift the flour mixture, and gently fold it into the egg mixture, along with the poppy seeds. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- To make the Lemon Filling: In a saucepan, mix together 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch and pinch of salt. Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, water, orange juice and butter. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Place egg yolks in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk 1/2 cup of hot mixture into egg yolks. Slowly pour the egg yolk mixture back to remaining hot mixture, whisking constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes, or until thickened.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 377 cal
- 13 g
- 59.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (6)Rate This Recipe
"Delicious, light and moist tasting. I modified it a bit to make it easier to prepare. Used McCormick's poppyseed in a jar and once I did soak to soften, but then the second time I made it I used the..." See more poppyseeds without soaking. Either way is delicious. Also used lemon pie filling to save on prep time, although it would be just as delicious made in a bundt pan with a lemon glaze (lemon juice & powdered sugar). Co-workers were very impressed when I brought it to the office."
"This was delicious, held together well and perfect for frosting. I am terrible at following recipes to the "T" and I wanted a lemon poppy seed cake (plus I am at high altitude), so I also made a few a..." See moredjustments to flour & leavening of the cake. I followed the filling recipe perfectly, as it is too risky to mess with "puddings" in my opinion! • 1/2 cup poppy seeds • 4 eggs • 1 1/2 cups white sugar • 1 1/2 cups sour cream • 4 tbsp butter (room temp) • 1 tsp vanilla extract • 1 tsp almond extract • 2 tbsp fresh lemon zest • 2 3/4 cups cake flour • 2 teaspoons baking powder • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda • 1/2 teaspoon salt "
Pecan Sour Cream Pound Cake
Moist Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.