Rhubarb Spice Cake with Lemon Sauce10 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 50 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 50 min
“My mother got this recipe back in the 1950's from the minister's wife. It's been a family favorite ever since--even for those who claim to dislike rhubarb.” - by PRICKLY PEAR
Original recipe yields 1 9x13-inch pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13-inch pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together 2 tablespoons butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated. Stir in the chopped rhubarb. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Allow to cool before slicing.
- To make the Lemon Sauce: In a saucepan, mix together 2 cups sugar and 4 tablespoons cornstarch. Stir in the water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat and stir in 4 tablespoons butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, and extract (if desired). Stir in 1 or 2 drops yellow food coloring, if using.
- Serve slices of cake with the warm lemon sauce.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 351 cal
- 6.8 g
- 70.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (10)Rate This Recipe
"For people who like rhubarb. The lemon sauce is a must as the rhubarb is really tart & there isn't much sweetness to the cake. Overall, not bad......" See more"
"This was a perfect little cake. I added a little extra spice. The lemon sauce is a must to finish this off...." See more"
Rhubarb Cake I
Lemon Cake with Lemon Filling and Lemon Butter Frosting
Just swipe to see more like this.