Tiramisu Layer Cake1175 Reviews
- Prep: 5 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 2 hr
“Fancy taste without all the work. This cake is wonderful for a get together or just a special occasion at home. Using a box cake mix as a base it's a real time saver!” - by bettina
Original recipe yields 1 - 3 layer 9 inch cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 3 (9 inch) pans.
- Prepare the cake mix according to package directions. Divide two thirds of batter between 2 pans. Stir instant coffee into remaining batter; pour into remaining pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. In a measuring cup, combine brewed coffee and 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur; set aside.
- To make the filling: In a small bowl, using an electric mixer set on low speed, combine mascarpone, 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar and 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur; beat just until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- To make the frosting: In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium-high speed, beat the cream, 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar and 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur until stiff. Fold 1/2 cup of cream mixture into filling mixture.
- To assemble the cake: Place one plain cake layer on a serving plate. Using a thin skewer, poke holes in cake, about 1 inch apart. Pour one third of reserved coffee mixture over cake, then spread with half of the filling mixture. Top with coffee-flavored cake layer; poke holes in cake. Pour another third of the coffee mixture over the second layer and spread with the remaining filling. Top with remaining cake layer; poke holes in cake. Pour remaining coffee mixture on top. Spread sides and top of cake with frosting. Place cocoa in a sieve and lightly dust top of cake. Garnish with chocolate curls. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
- To make the chocolate curls, use a vegetable peeler and run it down the edge of the chocolate bar.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 465 cal
- 28.9 g
- 46.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (1175)Rate This Recipe
"Awesome recipe. Seriously, it inspired awe in those who tasted it. I just wanted to repost a mascarpone substitute I found in another Tiramisu recipe. It worked wonderfully in this one! HEIDI8803 po..." See morested this in Raspberry Tiramisu, not sure which recipe she got it from: mascarpone substitute- 2pkgs cream cheese blended with 1/2 c heavy cream and 5 T sour cream And, to reiterate other advice given by previous reviewers, I too made two of the three cake layers with the instant coffee (I'd've made it three, but the changing colors are beautiful) and I doubled the coffee liquer everywhere it was called for. I think next time I'm going to add chocolate covered coffee beans around the base of the cake. ***Edit*** I've made this a few times now, and learned (the hard way) one big thing on the frosting: It is better to under whip than over. More than five minutes and you risk hitting an icky butter zone. That might be what happened to Nicky. Right at 5 min. works for me. Oh, and believe all the reviews about letting the cake sit overnight. The frosting will set better in that time."
"AMAZING! Make this and you will look like a pro! My suggestions: 1) use 4x as much instant coffee powder in cake batter, and make 2 layers of coffee flavored cake 2) i followed another reviewer's su..." See moreggestion for substituting mascarpone with a mix of cream cheese, sour cream, and heavy cream, and it tastes great and is cheaper 3) you must turn the cake upside down when layering, otherwise coffee liqueur will not soak into it 4) i used kahlua for liqueur 5) I used Duncan Hines supreme white cake mix-it is moist and uses egg whites 6) i used a very strong espresso instead of the coffee to give it more flavor...also, instead of making coffee/espresso, just add water to some of the instant coffee powder, it tastes just fine in the cake"
"Used 1 cup of coffee and 3T of liqueur. Made it twice this way and it turns out so wonderfly moist and flavorful. Oddly the coffee flavor is still very subtle. The cake layers are so moist with the e..." See morextra liquid it is best to freeze them before you layer them.This way they will not fall apart when stacking."
Gourmet Mushroom Risotto
Greek Chicken Pasta
Just swipe to see more like this.