Florentine Caramelized Onion Soup4 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 3 hr
- Ready In: 3 hr 15 min
“Also known as "carabaccia", this is a local specialty in Florence, and is hard to find even in cookbooks specializing in Italian soups! The effect should be rich and somewhat sweet (but not too much). Adding roasted garlic would be a good variation.” - by Elsie Wollaston
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- In a large heavy pot, heat oil over medium heat. Cut onions in half lengthwise, then slice thinly. Place sliced onions in pot and toss to coat with oil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened and beginning to color, 30 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, uncovered, until onions are amber in color, 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle onions with sugar and a little bit of salt; cook, stirring, until sugar melts and onions are caramel colored, 5 minutes. Pour in wine and broth, and place cinnamon stick in pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Stir the bread into the soup and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally until the bread disintegrates, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon stick. Whisk the soup to incorporate the bread. Adjust seasoning. Serve hot.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 528 cal
- 11.2 g
- 75.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (4)Rate This Recipe
"This was so good! It took a long time to actaully cook, but it only took about 10 minutes to prepare! And then you just simmer it and forget it! It was good!..." See more"
"This recipe was time consuming and ended up truly disgusting. I wish I had not added the Italian bread as, prior to that it was just edible. I ended up using a few spoons of this to flavour a spring v..." See moreegetable soup in place of onions and the remainder I threw out - a waste of some good white wine !To say that preparation is 15 mins is incorrect as it needs attention several times while cooking."
Department Store Onion Soup
Old-Fashioned Onion Soup
Just swipe to see more like this.