Potato and Egg Casserole65 Reviews
- Prep: 45 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“This is a casserole that was used for Lenten meals by my in-laws. It is Hungarian in origin and everywhere I take it, I get requests for the recipe.” - by Connie
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool, peel and slice.
- Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, peel and slice.
- In a 9x13 inch casserole dish layer potatoes and eggs, sprinkling each layer of eggs with seasoning salt, ending with potatoes.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt margarine with sour cream. Pour over potatoes and sprinkle lightly with seasoning salt.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (10 total)
- 415 cal
- 31.6 g
- 25.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (65)Rate This Recipe
"Yummy! This is such an easy, inexpensive, and tasty recipe. I added some sliced kielbasa but don't think it was necessary. I also sprinkled the top layer with parsley for color and pepper. I really..." See more liked the seasoning salt flavor! The method for cooking the potatoes seems strangely complicated. I just poked the potatoes with a fork, microwaved them for 15-20 minutes and then sliced them. Leavin the skin on is not only easier, but retains the vitamins in the skins. I used low fat sour cream and margarine and next time might try to sub chicken broth for half the margarine and use fat free sour cream. Thanks for the delicious recipe! *Update* I've made this many times since, I make the sauce with pureed cottage cheese instead of sour cream (add 2 t lemon juice), 3/4 cup chicken broth and 1/4 cup light margarine. A bit healthier and still delicious!"
"I am Hungarian and have been making this recpie for years. It is fast and easy. They way I make it is that I add sausage(any kind, but preferably Hungarian sausage) and layer potatoes, eggs, sausage, ..." See moresour cream and repeat. Incredibly delicious"
"One of my favorite childhood hungarian dishes my parents used to make, and in turn I make often now! This is very close to the way we make it except I do: three layers of potatoes and two layers of eg..." See moregs and then spoon the sour cream mixture over each egg layer. I cover the top potatoes with some reserved sour cream mixture and sprinkle with fine, dry buttered crumbs! Yummy. On occassion I put in some sliced sausage."
Incredible Potato Casserole
Irish Potato Casserole
Just swipe to see more like this.