Chocolate Walnut Cake1 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 50 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 30 min
“This is a delicious chocolate cake, lightly spiced with cinnamon and allspice, and flecked with walnuts. Decorate with chocolate frosting.” - by Megan
Original recipe yields 1 - 9x13 inch pan
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and allspice. Set aside.
- In the top of a double boiler, heat chocolate, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool to lukewarm.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk. Stir in walnuts.
- In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/3 of the whites into the batter, then quickly fold in remaining whites until no streaks remain. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 341 cal
- 17.6 g
- 44.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (1)Rate This Recipe
"The directions don't tell what to do with the melted chocolate, so I added it in with the walnuts. The cake was indeed tasty, but very heavy even after careful folding in of egg whites...." See more"
One Bowl Chocolate Cake I
Best Moist Chocolate Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.