Grandmother's Cheesecake7 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 30 min
“A citrus cheesecake with a shortbread crust. It takes a long time of preparation but it is well worth the wait. If you can't find a vanilla bean, substitute 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract for each 1 inch piece of bean. You can top with any of your favorite fruits or toppings, or eat it plain. Summertime fresh fruits are nice, or chocolate lovers can spread on a layer of fudge topping.” - by Shirley Brown
Original recipe yields 1 - 9 inch springform pan
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon lemon peel, and 1 teaspoon orange peel. Split a 1-inch piece of vanilla bean; scrape seeds into flour mixture. Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs. Add 1 egg yolk; stir until all flour is moistened. Gather dough into ball, wrap in wax paper, and refrigerate for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Lightly butter a 9 inch springform pan. Roll dough on lightly floured surface to 1/8 inch thick; trim to a 10 inch circle. Reserve pastry trimmings. Press pastry circle into bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of a 9 inch buttered springform pan. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Bake crust for 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack.
- Beat cream cheese, 1 3/4 cups sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon peel and 1 1/2 teaspoons orange peel in large mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Split a 1 inch piece of vanilla bean and scrape seeds into cream cheese mixture. Beat in 5 eggs and 2 egg yolks, 1 at a time, on medium speed. Stir in cream.
- Increase oven temperature to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C). Roll out reserved pastry trimmings on lightly floured board; cut into strips 2 inches wide. Pat strips up side of pan, pressing dough lightly to baked crust. Pour filling into crust. Bake 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C). DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR! Bake until cheesecake is firm in center, about 50 minutes. Turn off oven; leave cheesecake in oven with door slightly open for 1 hour. Remove from oven, and cool completely on wire rack. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
Amount Per Serving (16 total)
- 475 cal
- 34 g
- 35.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (7)Rate This Recipe
"This cheesecake is delicious. I only gave it 4 stars because 500 degrees for 15 minutes made the top of the cheesecake very brown, almost burnt. I had to cover the top with foil. Next time I'll try ..." See moreit at 400 degrees. Also I didn't bother with the pastry trimmings as stated in step 5, I used almost all of it in step one.This makes it much easier. "
"This recipie was great!!! Using a graham cracker crust rather that the one given is great also! a little less citrus zest as well 1 tsp is all! But iver all delicious!!..." See more"
New York Cheesecake III
Best Ever Cheesecake
Just swipe to see more like this.