Chicken Pot Pie IX5656 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 50 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 min
“A delicious chicken pie made from scratch with carrots, peas and celery.” - by Robbie Rice
Original recipe yields 1 - 9 inch pie
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C.)
- In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
- In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the chicken mixture in bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 415 cal
- 24 g
- 30.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (5656)Rate This Recipe
"The first time I made this I followed the recipe to the letter and thought it tasted great but was too dry. So I doubled the sauce, used a deep dish pie plate, reduced the temp to 375 & baked for 45 m..." See moreinutes. It was perfectly moist without being runny, and the pie shells were perfectly done. Absolutely fabulous! Goes without saying it is a keeper!"
"After reviewing several ratings I made some recommended changes. The first being I added more seasoning (garlic pepper, garlic powder, poultry seasoning) to the sauce and to the chicken mixture before..." See more cooking. Also, I cooked the chicken and veggies in chicken stock instead of water. My husband doesn't like celery so I used potato instead and also added some corn. I used Pillsbury ready made pie crusts (so easy..just open and unroll). And after brushing with egg white, baked the bottom crust for 5 minutes. I doubled the sauce and added most to the chicken mixture before putting it into the pan. I baked on 375 for 40 minutes. It looked and tasted delicious!!"
"I'm giving this recipe 5 stars for the way it turned out after my modifications, without them I doubt it would have been as good. I took a lot of the previous suggestions, and I boiled my veggies in ..." See morechicken broth (just added a boullion cube) although I didn't use peas (can't stand them) and just boneless, skinless breast meat. I used 3/4 cup of onion, and subbed 1/2 tsp garlic powder for celery seed (didn't have any). I drained the broth from the veggies, and used 2 cups in the pan, and after I added everything into the crust, I poured about another 1/4 cup of broth in with everything (as other reviewers complained it was too dry). Cooked for 30 min in a gas oven, and it came out perfect! Will definitely make again. edited to add: I also made this with 3 small, cubed potatoes, and it made it even better."
Chicken Pot Pie VIII
Chicken in Every Pot Pie
Just swipe to see more like this.