Sweet Lentil Soup with Asparagus Tips4 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 1 hr 15 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 30 min
“This started out as a soup recipe but can be used as a vegetarian rice dish. A sweet accompaniment to a plate of Basmati rice and assorted Indian breads.” - by NEHAIGHT
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Cut the top off of the head of garlic and place in a shallow dish in 1 inch of water. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, sprinkle with basil, cover and place on a baking sheet. Halve and seed the bell pepper, drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake garlic and pepper in preheated oven until pepper is browned and garlic is soft, 20 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven and, when cool enough to handle, remove skin from pepper and chop. Squeeze out garlic cloves and mash together in a bowl to form a paste.
- While garlic and pepper are baking, combine lentils and chicken broth in a large pot over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 40 minutes, until lentils are just tender.
- Stir garlic paste, bell pepper, carrots, onion, asparagus, peas into lentil mixture, adding more broth to thin if necessary. Season with sugar, marmalade, curry powder, saffron, salt and pepper. Simmer 30 minutes more, until vegetables are tender and flavors are well blended.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 319 cal
- 6.6 g
- 50.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (4)Rate This Recipe
"Sooooper-nummy! I was thrilled to find a recipe with lentils and curry... I was tempted to make it vegetarian (for my BF's sake), but instead relented and added 2 breasts of chicken. This is the bes..." See moret soup I've made. I didn't have fresh veggies (except the asparagus), so I added some frozen bagged mixed vegetables (corn, peas, carrots, lima beans), and a bag of stir fry peppers/onions. I think I need to make this more often.. Who wants to do my dishes?"
"This came out pretty well, I used prepared lentils which cut down the time spent cooking. I also used a lot more curry and I think it might have over shadowed the other flavors too much. The timing of..." See more cooking the vegetables is difficult because in the end there are some that are overcooked. Don't add the peppers until the very last minute!"
Lentil Soup with Lemon
Slow Cooker Lentil and Ham Soup
Just swipe to see more like this.