El Dorado Beef Casserole40 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 35 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 5 min
“This casserole is an old family favorite, easy to prepare and very popular at family gatherings.” - by Diane
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly butter a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef and drain. Stir in instant minced onion, garlic salt, tomato sauce and olives.
- In a mixing bowl, combine sour cream, ricotta cheese and green chiles.
- Reserve a few chips to use as garnish and crush the remainder. Put half of the crushed chips in the prepared casserole dish and cover with half of the meat mixture. Cover the meat mixture with half of the sour cream mixture, then add half of the Monterey Jack cheese. Repeat layers.
- Bake uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes. Garnish with reserved whole tortilla chips.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 477 cal
- 32.8 g
- 23.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (40)Rate This Recipe
"This has always been a family favorite in my house. We have a few variations you can try to kick it up a notch. Use crushed Doritos (Nacho cheese or Fiery Habenero) as your base layer. Substitute cott..." See moreage cheese for the ricotta. I like my dishes meaty so you can up the amount of beef to 1 1/2 lbs. We only use 1 can of diced green chiles and we don't use onions. We also add 1 tsp of chili powder to flavor the meat along with the garlic salt. It's always an easy dish for company. I never seem to use the entire cream mix because it can make it soupy at times. Serve with Mexican Rice!"
"I gave 4 stars because I have been making this casserole for years..but with a few changes that I think make it a 5 star. I never mix all the ingredients up together!..drizzle tomato paste around the..." See more meat, around the sourcream which is combined with cottage cheese. I use fresh diced onions, one finely chopped garlic, 1-2 Tbsp. gebhart's chili powder, 1 tsp. cumin power, and add it into the browning beef. Use one small can of tomatoe paste with added water to make into a thick sauce. Cottage cheese instead of ricotta and mixed shredded mexican cheeses, 1 small can sliced black olives. I drizzle the tomato sauce over the meat in the casserole, two layers only and add slices of jalepino and the shredded cheese to the top layer. I omitted the green chilis and if I do sometimes add them I add only one small drained can. This is one of my husbands favorite dishes. Arranging your ingredients in layers, the sourcream and cottage cheese should be dropped in little clumps is the best way to make this dish appealing and tasty. Useing unsalted chips is also nice and keeps the salt intake down..you can always add salt later."
Grandma's Ground Beef Casserole
Barbeque Beef Casserole
Just swipe to see more like this.