Smothered Meatballs73 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 30 min
“These tasty meatballs include green peppers, onions and Italian-style bread crumbs baked in a golden mushroom sauce. The recipe is a creation of my own.” - by JENN BEILMAN
Original recipe yields 4 to 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground beef, green pepper, onion, eggs, seasoned bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Shape the meat mixture into large meatballs about 2 inches in diameter. Place about 1 inch apart on a large, shallow baking sheet. Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes. While meatballs are baking, start the sauce.
- In a 9x13 inch baking dish, mix the soup, mushrooms, sour cream, milk, browning sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Blend well.
- When the meatballs have finished baking, remove them from the baking sheet and place them into the soup mixture. Stir in the meatballs to coat. Return to the preheated oven and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until sauce begins to bubble.
Amount Per Serving (5 total)
- 849 cal
- 55.1 g
- 40.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (73)Rate This Recipe
"These are yummy! Prep takes a little time but it's not difficult at all (my 8 yr old daughter helps make the meatballs) and the results are worth it! I've made this twice, the second time leavin..." See moreg out only the green pepper (I used a little extra onion to help make up the volume of the missing ingredient) at the request of my husband and it was still great! I also made more sauce because my husband loves it, and he's NOT a sour cream fan! I used 3 cans of golden mushroom, a 16 oz container of sour cream, an 8 oz package of fresh mushrooms sliced and about 3/4 cup of milk. I also add a little garlic & onion powder to the sauce to jazz it up, and leave out the salt because it seems unnecessary with all that soup. This is something I know I'll be making for years"
"This is a good recipe.I just put my own little touches to my families taste.I did not have any bread crumbs so I made my own bread crumbs by toasting a few slices then placing them in my chopper and j..." See moreust added some italian seasoning.I also added worchestershire sauce and garlic powder to the meat.For the sauce I used 3 cans of cream of mushroom,1 large can sliced mushrooms,about 1 1/2 cups milk,1 tbsp kitchen bouqet and then some salt,pepper,onion and garlic powder.After baking the meetballs for about 30 min. I used paper towels to remove drippings off the meatballs then I placed them in a 9x13 dish,completely covered them with the sauce and baked about 45 min.Served over egg noodles. Turned out really good I will be making this again and again."
"Very good flavor! I made the meatballs and then put them in a crockpot with the sauce for about 4 hrs. (I didn't add the sour cream until the last 1/2 hr.) The sauce was very rich, almost too rich, an..." See mored a little thicker than I am used to. I think next time I will try less sour cream and possibly water instead of milk. Overall, excellent!..my boyfriend loved them."
Lana's Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Just swipe to see more like this.