Oyster Dressing II7 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 2 hr 10 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 30 min
“This bread and oyster dressing is flavored with onion and poultry seasoning. It goes great with the holiday turkey!” - by Marthe Hildreth
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in celery, sweet onion and yellow onion. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Mix in poultry seasoning and ground black pepper. Stir in oysters and chicken broth, and remove from heat.
- Place Italian bread in a large bowl. Pour oyster mixture over the bread and mix to coat.
- Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish. Cover with foil and bake in the preheated oven 2 hours.
- Turn off oven. Remove foil and allow stuffing to remain in oven about 10 minutes, until surface is crisp.
Amount Per Serving (10 total)
- 185 cal
- 10.5 g
- 18.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (7)Rate This Recipe
"My family has served oyster dressing with Christmas dinner for years. I was without my grandmother's old cookbook this year, so I made this - with a few modifications - and my family raved about the ..." See moreflavor! Modifications: I used two 8-oz cans of oysters and reserved the liquid from the can. I ended up using the reserved liquid from both cans of oysters in step 2 plus an additional 1/2 cup chicken broth after step 3 - more than tripling the amount of liquid called for in the recipe. You have to use judgment on the amount of liquid to add, and you will get it right with experience. The dressing mix should be thoroughly moistened but not dripping with more liquid than it can absorb. (I used dried out wheat bread from a normal storebought loaf; a crustier artisan bread might call for slightly less liquid.)"
Sausage Oyster Dressing
Oyster and Cornbread Dressing
Just swipe to see more like this.