Creole Macaroni and Cheese9 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 45 min
“Use the best aged cheeses you can find. Any andouille sausage will work, but do not substitute. Just leave it out if you can't find any.” - by F. Craig Littlejohn
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Cook macaroni in a large pot of boiling water until al dente. Drain.
- In a small pan, cook the andouille sausage over medium heat until done. Set aside. In the same pan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add bread crumbs, and stir to coat. Cool, and then mix in Parmesan. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Saute onions and celery until translucent. Transfer to a bowl.
- In the same saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, to make a white roux. Try not to let the roux brown at all, it should be white. Mix in paprika and mustard, then stir in milk. Bring to boil over medium heat, then add Gruyere and Cheddar cheeses. Simmer, stirring often, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 9x13 in pan, or similar sized casserole dish. Transfer cooked macaroni to the dish, and toss in the andouille sausage. Stir in the cheese mixture. Sprinkle the breadcrumb and Parmesan mixture evenly over the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until crust turns golden brown.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 481 cal
- 28.5 g
- 33.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (9)Rate This Recipe
"This dish is wonderful. Great for company but you'd better make extra because there will be no leftovers...." See more"
"While I would have liked to give this a higher rating, I just can't. While the flavor was O.K., the amount of time, preparation, steps and pans used were ridiculous considering the outcome. I think I ..." See morecould have used Velvetta mac and cheese, added the andoille, celery seed and onions to reap the same results. Won't be making this again."
"With a couple of changes, this turned out AMAZING. My only real problem was that it just wasn't cheesy enough - I added a lot more Gruyere and Cheddar, and also a handful of shredded Swiss. I omitted..." See more the celery (not a fan), and simply sauteed the onions along with the Andouille. This ended up being a fantastically rich and tasty meal. Thanks, Craig!"
Macaroni and Cheese with Caramelized Onions and Bacon
Home Style Macaroni and Cheese
Just swipe to see more like this.