Stuffing Recipe11 Reviews
- Prep: 1 hr
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 30 min
“Fantastic stuffing recipe using sausage, wild rice, apples, raisins, and more! It's worth the trouble!” - by Christy Zahorchak
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- In a medium saucepan, boil water and stir in wild rice. Reduce heat. Cover, and simmer 45 minutes, until water has been absorbed and rice is tender.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt butter in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Stir in sausage, onions, and celery. Cook until sausage is evenly browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain, and stir in mushrooms, thyme, and rosemary. Continue cooking about 2 minutes, until mushrooms are lightly browned. Remove from heat, and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, mix the sausage mixture with the cooked rice, whole wheat bread, apples, and raisins. Gradually blend in chicken broth until mixture is moistened.
- Transfer mixture to a large baking dish. Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 453 cal
- 24.4 g
- 50.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (11)Rate This Recipe
"Great dressing, however, there was one made by S&W Foods on the Brown Rice they used to sell. On this one, get rid of the whole wheat bread and use 3 cups brown rice (uncooked), no mushroomes, no rai..." See moresins, Saute the celery & onions in a large stock pot, using enought water/chickent broth to cook this much rice, add sausage, seasonings, apples (finely chopped) to rice mixture and mix well. You can serve on the side without the mess of stuffing the birds, and just keep warm in a casserole dish to serve buffet style. Expect it to go fast."
"I believe that this recipe is incorrect as written, with the water and rice quantities reversed -- it should be 1 cup wild rice and 2-1/2 cups water. There isn't anywhere close to enough liquid in thi..." See mores recipe to properly cook 2-1/2 cups of wild rice and also moisten all of that bread. With that change, this is a 5 star recipe, and I don't normally even like stuffing. Some other minor modications that I make: I cook the rice in the chicken broth plus 1 cup of water (don't drain any excess after cooking the rice), then add the rest of the water at the end. That seasons the rice more effectively. I also reduce the salt and pepper slightly, 1-1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper, and use low sodium chicken broth. I love salt (my wife thinks I use too much), but this recipe is just a bit too heavy on salt without those changes. I also simplify some of the quantities to 2 medium onions, 4 large stalks celery, 8 oz mushrooms, and 12 slices of bread. The result is about the same as the quantities (in cups) shown, but I think this makes shopping and prep easier. When combining the final mixture, add additional water (up to about 2 more cups) until the mixture is well moistened but there is no standing liquid."
Basic Yankee Bread Stuffing
Just swipe to see more like this.