Malaysian Beef Rendang28 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 1 hr 30 min
- Ready In: 2 hr
“This dish has a unique flavor, and by varying the amounts of sugar and chilies a whole range of effects can be produced. Serve over rice.” - by Trevor Hobson
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Heat the coconut in a dry wok, stirring continuously until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Using a blender or a food processor, blend the shallots, garlic, chilies, ginger, and lemon grass to a thick paste.
- Grind the coriander, fennel, cumin and nutmeg.
- Using the wok, fry the shallot paste in a little oil for a few minutes. Add the ground coriander, fennel, cumin and nutmeg; cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring continuously. Add beef; cook over a medium heat for a further 3 to 4 minutes, or until meat is browned.
- Stir in sugar, coconut, cloves, cinnamon stick, coconut milk , and water. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer until most of the liquid has gone and the meat is tender (about 1 hour). Season with salt to taste.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 654 cal
- 54.5 g
- 24.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (28)Rate This Recipe
"This a great Rendang recipe. Very very easy to use. Don't skimp on the lemon grass as that is where the zing comes from. I omitted the nutmeg as I did not have any. Another trick is to make it in a po..." See moret and close the lid to let the meat tenderise for about 30 mins and then start evaporating the liquid. Perfection!"
"I am originally from Brunei, which is close to Malaysia. The recipe is missing tumeric powder; it is a special occasion dish, which tastes better by the 2nd or 3rd day. Also, blanched almonds with the..." See more shredded coconuts helps with buildling the sauce. A tip on making Beef Rendang is to use a mortar and pestle to grind the spices, if you could find one. It takes longer to use mortar & pestle, but you can taste the difference when you use a food processor. Also, palm sugar is preferred to white sugar. Otherwise, the recipe is quite authentic. :)"
Slow Cooker Beef Stew IV
Bull Riders All Beef Chili
Just swipe to see more like this.