Ricotta Stuffed Squash22 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 50 min
“Squash stuffed with ricotta cheese and spinach. I prefer a bit more garlic, and this can also be done on a grill by simply wrapping in foil.” - by whitney
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Trim ends of zucchini halves, and scoop out seeds and pulp, leaving about 1/2 inch pulp on skins. In a large saucepan, steam zucchini halves in a vegetable steamer over boiling water for about 5 minutes, until tender but firm. Drain, and immediately plunge into a large bowl filled with enough ice water to cover. Allow to cool completely; drain.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Slowly cook and stir onion and garlic until onion is soft. Stir in spinach, and cook about 1 minute, until wilted.
- Transfer spinach mixture to a medium bowl, and mix in ricotta cheese, eggs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Stuff zucchini halves with even amounts of the mixture, and arrange in a large baking dish. Drizzle with remaining butter.
- Bake uncovered in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, until the stuffing is hot and bubbly. Heat tomato sauce in a small saucepan, and spoon over the zucchini half way through baking.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 193 cal
- 10.5 g
- 13.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (22)Rate This Recipe
"I made this for the second time tonight, and I made some changes. I almost doubled the spices, used fresh spinach, subbed cottage cheese for the ricotta and increased the amount slightly, increased t..." See morehe amount of Parmesan slightly, added some chopped provolone cheese, and added some Italian style bread crumbs to combat the soupiness. Also, half way through baking, I topped the halves with fresh tomato slices instead of sauce. NOW it was excellent, after a little tweaking. A very good basic recipe, though."
Moon Riding Fences
"I love this one! I used a pound of fresh baby spinach instead of the frozen because that's what I had on hand. It came out delicious. My husband and children enjoyed this too. The 1 year old ate secon..." See moreds. Thanks Whitney, I'll be making this one again and sharing it with friends."
"i made this dish for thanksgiving & everyone loved it so much that my mother-in-law requested i make it for easter. i ended up having extra spinach mixture leftover. the next day my husband put ..." See moreit on french bread and topped with tomato sauce. he popped it in the oven until it was warmed and it made a very yummy side dish for dinner."
Stuffed Acorn Squash
Stuffed Zucchini Halves
Just swipe to see more like this.