Eva Claiborne's Hen and Dressing16 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 3 hr
“A family tradition for over 70 years, this recipe has ruined me for all other dressing. I can't eat anyone else's! Serve with giblet gravy.” - by SMATTERCHU
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Place chicken, 1 onion, 2 stalks celery, and salt in a large pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and gently boil 90 minutes, or until chicken meat falls easily from the bone. Drain, reserving broth. Chop chicken, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a large baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix crumbled cornbread, crumbled biscuits, 2 cups celery, 2 large onions, sage, poultry seasoning, seasoned salt, and red pepper. Stir in eggs and reserved chicken broth. The mixture should be very thin.
- Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish. Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, stirring often.
- Mix chicken into the dressing mixture. Continue baking 15 minutes, until lightly browned.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 967 cal
- 52.9 g
- 63.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (16)Rate This Recipe
"I'm very particular(being a southerner)about my dressing......THIS IS WONDERFUL.YUMMMMMMM!! JUDITH..." See more"
"I messed up by making this dressing recipe a couple of Thanksgivings ago. Now I have the make the dressing for everyone! It's a huge hit for our extended family. I've adapted the recipe by not stirr..." See moreing it while it bakes and adding the chicken before I put it in the oven to bake. It ends up being a very flavorful, moist, traditional southern dressing. It is a lot of work, but well worth it. My only other advice is to not overbake your biscuits and cornbread. In this recipe, dry breads = dry dressing. Follow the recipe and you'll have a winner every time!"
"Too, too wonderful. You can buy cornbread muffins at the bakery to speed things up a bit. The one that said it was dry obviously didn't read the directions. When she said it should be thin she meant i..." See moret. It was totally moist and my whole family fought over the last bite. You can fix it ahead and freeze. My mouth is watering now. Thanks, Tara."
Soul Smothered Chicken
Chicken and Dressing Casserole
Just swipe to see more like this.