Apple Crunch Pie with Vanilla Sauce26 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 50 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 5 min
“Not your typical apple pie - Hershey's Cinnamon Chips are scattered throughout, and in the streusel, giving the apples the cinnamon flavor they deserve.” - by Cynthia Clark
Original recipe yields 1 - 9 inch pie
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C.)
- In a large bowl, Mix together 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Stir in sliced apples until coated with sugar mixture. Stir in 1 cup cinnamon chips. Pour filling into pie crust, and dot with 3 tablespoons butter. Sprinkle with streusel topping.
- To make streusel topping: In a medium bowl, mix together 3/4 cup flour and 3/4 cup brown sugar. Cut in 6 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in remaining 2/3 cup cinnamon chips.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and continue baking for 35 to 40 minutes, or until filling is bubbling and streusel is golden brown. Allow to cool for at least 1 hour.
- While the pie is cooling, prepare the vanilla sauce. In the top of a double boiler over medium heat, whisk together eggs, half-and-half and 1/2 cup sugar. Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla. Spoon sauce (warm or cooled) over slices of pie.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 881 cal
- 40.4 g
- 123.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (26)Rate This Recipe
"I can't speak about the pie because I didn't make it, but I did make the vanilla sauce and it was excellent!! Almost like a "loose" vanilla pudding. I served it over ice cream puffs, but it could hav..." See moree many uses. It's easy to make, and nice and thick. I kept it warm all evening in a jar in some warm water on the stove, and it kept perfectly - never separated. I might use less sugar next time, but it's a keeper!!"
"This was a very, very sweet apple pie. It was delicious but I will cut down on the amount of sugar and/or cinnamon chips next time...." See more"
"Best Apple pie ever!!! I have made it several times. I have even thrown them in the freezer! They turn out wonderful. This pie has become my signature pie and I get requests for it all the time. It is..." See more not expensive to make either (an added bonas!) I do not make the vanilla sauce and serve it with home made ice cream insted."
Apple Crunch Pie I
Crumb Apple Pie
Just swipe to see more like this.