Rhubarb Meringue Squares10 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 25 min
- Ready In: 55 min
“A light fluffy square of rhubarb topped with a melt-in-your-mouth meringue. I have been asked to share this recipe by friends who have tried it.” - by BRANDY JANE
Original recipe yields 12 bars
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8x8 inch square baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and 1/4 cup sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir into the butter mixture until a stiff dough forms. Press the dough into the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of the prepared pan.
- Bake crust for 15 minutes, or until firm.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the rhubarb, 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon, and 3 tablespoons water. Bring to a boil, and cook until rhubarb is tender, about 10 minutes. Mix remaining 2 tablespoons of water with the cornstarch, and stir into the saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thickened. Remove from heat, and spread over the baked crust.
- In a medium glass or metal bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup of sugar, continuing to beat until whites form stiff peaks. Spread meringue over the layer of rhubarb sauce, and sprinkle coconut over the top.
- Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the meringue is golden brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 193 cal
- 4.9 g
- 35.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (10)Rate This Recipe
"This is another recipe that has been in my RB for quite some time. Having an abundance of rhubarb I was searching for something new and different to make. BINGO!! Rather than make these into squares, ..." See moreI opted to do it in a tart pan and cut it into slices. Taking the advice of another reviewer, I used the two egg yolks in place of the 1 egg in the crust and also added the few remaining strawberries I had in the fridge to the cooked rhubarb. Absolutely delicious and beautiful dessert. Thanks for sharing and I will most definitely make this again."
"Over all this was not a bad recipe. The rhubarb set well and the meringue actually went well with the coconut. I didn't like the crust it was too soft even with an extra 5 minutes of baking. I will..." See more try this again but next time I will make a crisper, more shortbread like crust."
Rhubarb Meringue Pie
Just swipe to see more like this.