Vegetable Pasties19 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“I combined 5 pasty recipes to create an easy vegetable pasty with the filling and flavor I desired.” - by Alexandra Flowers
Original recipe yields 8 individual pasties
- In a large bowl, mix together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water until mixture forms a ball. Divide dough into 8 pieces, and shape into balls. Cover, and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in carrot, turnip, potatoes and mushrooms. Add water, bouillon cube, tarragon, salt and pepper. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Roll each pastry ball into a circle, 6 to 8 inches in diameter. Place about 1 cup of filling on one half of each circle. Fold pastry over filling, and pinch edges to seal. Place on baking sheet, and brush with egg.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 581 cal
- 30.7 g
- 67.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (19)Rate This Recipe
"First time making pasties (apparently the correct pronunciation is "past-eez"), and was a bit disappointed, especially considering all the time one puts in to make them from scratch. They were not a h..." See moreit with my family. Although the filling was good, the pastry was thick and very dry (perhaps the whole wheat flour was the culprit here ?). The maximum amount of filling I could fit in one was about 2/3 cup, and this was even after rolling out the dough to 9" diameter. After making the eight pasties, I still ended up with 8 cups of vegetable mixture left over (it won't go to waste). Unless you have a really LARGE skillet, you may find you'll need a large roasting pan to cook the veggies. Use a small turnip; this will reduce the amount of excess. 45 minutes baking time was more than necessary. I removed my final batch after 35 min., and the pastry was just as hard as if I had left it in for the full 45 min."
"This rating is based on the pastry only as I did my own thing for the filling. It turned out lovely, I followed it exactly, tender and a deep golden colour, amount was bang on 8 huge ones. Hubby and 2..." See more adult sons were very impressed ( I can see fights for the leftover ones!)"
Easy Mashed Potato and Roasted Vegetable Enchiladas
Just swipe to see more like this.