Vegetarian Cabbage Rolls13 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 1 hr 5 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 35 min
“This is a wonderful recipe -- a little time consuming, but worth the work -- it tastes just like the meat version.” - by Tammy
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Place the rice and 2/3 cup water in a pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 40 minutes, until tender. Mix the textured vegetable protein and 3/4 cup boiling water in a medium bowl. Soak 15 minutes, until rehydrated. Mix in the cooked rice.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a bowl, mix the tomato soup and 10 3/4 fluid ounces (1 soup can) water.
- Place the cabbage in a pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook 15 minutes, until leaves are easily removed. Drain, cool, and separate leaves.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion, carrot, red bell pepper, and garlic. Cook until tender. Mix in wine, and continue cooking until almost all liquid has evaporated. Stir in rice and textured vegetable protein, reserved juice from the tomatoes, egg, and peas. Season with cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, basil, and hot pepper sauce. Cook and stir until heated through.
- On 1 cabbage leaf, place about 2 tablespoons skillet mixture and 1 tomato. Roll tightly, and seal with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining filling. Arrange in a casserole dish. Pour the soup and water over cabbage rolls. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover, and bake 35 minutes in the preheated oven, basting occasionally with the tomato sauce. Remove cover, and continue baking 10 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 215 cal
- 3.8 g
- 23.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (13)Rate This Recipe
"Worked well! Thanks for the recipe! I used LightLife Smart Ground for the fake meat and it was delicious. I needed a little extra water for my rice. Didn't put a whole tomato in each one, probably ab..." See moreout a third. Also didn't add red pepper (store was out) and no peas because I don't like them much. Used tomato sauce instead of soup as others had suggested. Added a little dried oregano with the basil. I had about half a cup of extra filling at the end so I will probably use less of everything next time or use a bigger cabbage. I also didn't bother with toothpicks, just put them seam-side down in the dish."
"Loved this recipe and so did my anti-vegetarian husband. I also removed the cabbage leaves, boiled them for 2 minutes. Added dried cranberries to filling mixture - a nice counterpoint to the other f..." See morelavors. Don't like tomato soup as a sauce so also made a quick tomato sauce by simmering 2 cans of tomato sauce with italian herb seasoning, garlic, salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar. Will definitely make again."
"Liked the idea of this recipe.First I removed leaves from cabbage and boiled 2 minutes,removed to collander and rinsed in cold water;much easier.Second I was not fond of the tomato soup sauce.I used o..." See morene can tomato paste mixed with 4 cans water,bay leaf,garlic,1/8 teaspoon allspice,pinch cinnamon and some dried parsley which I simmered on stove beforehand.Otherwise pretty good.Next time I think I'll add some raisins to filling."
Lamb and Rice Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
False Cabbage Rolls
Just swipe to see more like this.