Rice Stuffing with Apples, Herbs, and Bacon32 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 1 hr 10 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 30 min
“This is by far the best stuffing recipe I have ever had. I have made it for the last 3 Thanksgivings and everyone has raved about it. It is very unique and the flavors are so delicious!!! Serve this up for Thanksgiving and your guests will be asking for the recipe!!!” - by REDHEADEDMYSTERY
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring 1 1/2 cups water and the chicken broth to a boil. Stir in wild rice. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes.
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Reserving drippings, drain bacon, crumble, and set aside.
- In the skillet with the reserved bacon drippings, saute onions and celery with 1 tablespoon water. Cook until very soft, about 20 minutes.
- Stir remaining water, white rice, currants, cherries, cranberries, apricots, and apples into the wild rice. Continue cooking 20 minutes, or until wild rice and white rice are tender.
- In a large bowl, mix the bacon and the onion mixture into the rice mixture. Season with the Italian parsley and dried mixed herbs.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 313 cal
- 6.4 g
- 59.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (32)Rate This Recipe
"It should read: "Cook 1 cup of wild rice in 1 1/2 cup of water AND 1 1/2 cup of broth, for a total of 3 cups of liquid". Other places online say that 1 cup of wild rice should be cooked in 3 cups of..." See more water, so that's how we tried it and it was great! BTW, we're vegetarian and left out the bacon all together and it was really great wrapped in Tofurky turkey lunch meats and baked."
"Awesome recipe! I served this with 'Roast Chicken with Rosemary' from this site and it was wonderful. Would be great for a pot luck...." See more"
"I purchased a long grain and wild rice combination and just cooked it up acocrding to the package directions. I used microwave bacon (I hate bacon grease) and set it aside. I sauteed the onion and c..." See moreelery, and added the fruit to the rice while the rice was still a little 'wet'. Added the celery and onion, the dry herb mix (basil, organo, thyme, sage) to the rice and fruit and cooked on med-low until everything was cooked through. Added the bacon and parley and mixed until warm. This is an incredible dish. DH and I plan on using this a a foundation form here on out and will play around with substituting the bacon for chicken sauage, and the fruits and herbs."
Harvest Rice Dish
Wild Rice Stuffing for Turkey
Just swipe to see more like this.