Black-Eyed Peas and Gumbo41 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 30 min
“This is a super easy gumbo. Smoked turkey may be substituted for the ham. Tastes even better the next day! Top with cooked rice and garnish with parsley and chopped green onions to serve.” - by Paula
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Heat 1/3 cup oil in a medium saucepan over medium low heat, and whisk in flour. Whisking constantly, cook 5 to 7 minutes, until a golden brown roux has formed.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium high heat. Stir in okra, onion, celery, and garlic, and cook 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Thoroughly blend roux into the vegetable mixture. Stir in water, tomatoes, parsley, salt, thyme, cayenne pepper, pepper, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in ham, and continue cooking 15 minutes, until tender.
- Stir in black-eyed peas, and continue cooking until heated through.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 179 cal
- 12.2 g
- 11.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (41)Rate This Recipe
"This is a very good recipe! The only thing I did different was to cook the onion and celery directly in the roux until tender then added the okra (I used frozen becuase I could not find any fresh). I ..." See morehave made other gumbos that way and I hate making more pots dirty than I have to. Lazy me!:) Thanks for this wonderful recipe. The combinations are terrific."
"Good soup! I did make some changes. I used 1/2 cup oil & 2/3 cup flour to start. I added 2 large onions, 4 stalks celery & leaves, 5 cloves minced garlic, 1 bell pepper instead of okra, cooked 10 m..." See moreinutes. Then I stirred in 8 cups of water, 2 cans chopped tomatoes, 1 tablespoon dried parsley, 1-1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon thyme, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 4 bay leaves & better than beef boullian, simmered 20 minutes or so then added 3 cans black eyed peas, no meat added but I did serve with rice which was good."
Big Charlie's Gumbo
Toddly Man's Big House Black-Eyed Peas
Just swipe to see more like this.