Shearers' Mince and Potato Hot Pot42 Reviews
- Prep: 35 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“This is a very filling Australian outback recipe that is often made for the shearers.” - by Kattjovi
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place potato slices in a medium bowl with enough water to cover.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in ground beef, onion, tomato sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until beef is evenly browned and onions are tender.
- In a separate medium saucepan over medium heat, melt 1/4 cup butter, and thoroughly blend in flour. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir 5 minutes, or until thickened. Reduce heat, and blend Cheddar cheese into the mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Line a medium baking dish with 1/2 the potato slices. Pour in the ground beef mixture, and top with mushrooms. Cover with the cheese sauce mixture. Top with remaining potatoes. Dot with 2 tablespoons butter.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 646 cal
- 42 g
- 42.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (42)Rate This Recipe
"I liked this meal, but the wife and kids did not. The kids liked the potatoes but not the meat (the Worcestershire taste I think). My wife was unhappy that the potatoes were only partially cooked (e..." See moreven after an extended baking time). I think if I were to make it again I would bake it covered with foil for 45min then uncovered for the last 15min(this is how I cook my scalloped ham and potatoes and the potatoes are always tender). This could be a great meat and potatoes recipe with some adjustments."
"I liked this recipe a lot, however, you definately need to drain the meat. To cut down on the grease, I used half a cup of cheddar cheese and half a cup of monteray jack cheese.(cheddar cheese is ver..." See morey oily). As far as the potatoes go, first I pre-cooked the meat with onions, fresh garlic, and chili sauce (replacing the tomato sauce). I then refrigerated the meat for about an hour. Then I sliced the potatoes very thin and cooked the whole thing together for 1hr. The first half hour, I kept it covered with aluminum foil, and then took it off the last half hour. The potoes came out very tender. My husband and kids loved it."
"This is good and filling, as claimed. It's basically "shepherd's pie meets scalloped potatoes". Good, plain comfort food, but if you are looking for something with more zing, you may want to add a b..." See moreit of spice or chili sauce to the meat when you cook it. Make sure to cut the potatoes really thin, too, or else you'll be cooking it for a long(er) time!"
Hot German Potato Salad Casserole
Hamburger Potato Casserole
Just swipe to see more like this.