Southern Grits Casserole77 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 1 hr
“If you're from the South you will definitely love this recipe, which includes grits, eggs, sausage, and cheese. When I cook it, I place it in the slow cooker to stay warm. There is nothing worse than cold grits.” - by Ella Baldwin
Original recipe yields 16 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a large baking dish.
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan, and stir in grits. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 5 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed. Mix in 1/2 the butter and 2 cups cheese until melted.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook the sausage until evenly browned. Drain, and mix into the grits. Beat together the eggs and milk in a bowl, and pour into the skillet. Lightly scramble, then mix into the grits.
- Pour the grits mixture into the prepared baking dish. Dot with remaining butter, and top with remaining cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned.
Amount Per Serving (16 total)
- 403 cal
- 29.9 g
- 16.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (77)Rate This Recipe
"This recipe was a huge hit at a faculty breakfast. The trick is to season the grits with lots of salt and butter until the grits taste good before adding the remaining ingredients. After reading som..." See moree of the reviews, I decided to use eight eggs, instead of (12). I will definitely serve this dish again and again. "
"This was very good. I threw it all in the crockpot once combined and it turned out great. Made it again 2 weeks later and added crumbled bacon. I think that was better than the sausage...." See more"
"This is one of my familys favorites & we don't normally like grits. I do, however, cut the eggs to 6 and the milk to 1/4 cup as IMO it's too eggy with 12. But other than my personal taste, this cass..." See moreerole is a keeper. My family eats it with a good shake of tobasco sauce - YUM!"
Sausage Egg Casserole
Breakfast Casserole III
Just swipe to see more like this.