Polish Chicken and Dumplings102 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 3 hr
- Ready In: 3 hr 30 min
“This is an old family recipe for the dumplings, which were originally Polish egg noodles (kluski), and over the years I have modified it to make homemade dumplings.” - by SLOEFINGER
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Place chicken, onion, and celery in a large pot, and then fill pot with water. Season with poultry seasoning, whole allspice, basil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, and seasoning salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for approximately 2 hours, or until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken from broth, and strain broth to remove seasonings and any bone. Return broth to pan, stir in cream of chicken soup, and continue simmering. Set chicken aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, stir together eggs, olive oil, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper with 2 cups water. Gradually add flour, and stir until thick.
- Using a large spoon and knife, scoop a spoonful of the dough and cut small pieces into the broth. Repeat until all the dough has been used. Stir, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, skin and debone the chicken. Cut the meat into small pieces, add to the broth, and heat through. Serve.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 704 cal
- 34.4 g
- 53.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (102)Rate This Recipe
"Note to reviewers and future recipe users: There are two kinds of dumplings - one is a heavy, dense pasta-like dumpling (like this recipe) and the other is a puffy biscuit-like dumpling. These dumpli..." See morengs are just as they are supposed to be for a dense dumpling!"
"We invited my 98 year-old Polish/Hungarian great-grandmother for dinner to taste the dish on a cold, wintry New England night. She found the dish reminscient of the old country though she demanded we ..." See moreadd a significant pinch of hot Csipos paprika to the broth. It made all the difference. Also, she refused to allow to add the can of cream of chicken. All said, the dish was an utmost success. She wept over memories of the old country as she ate the dumplings one by one. Thank you for this marvelous recipe."
Irish Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken and Dumplings I
Just swipe to see more like this.