Bean Casserole8 Reviews
- Prep: 5 min
- Cook: 25 min
- Ready In: 30 min
“An ideal winter recipe. The bread can be replaced by mashed potato or polenta. Serve with a salad or steamed vegetables.” - by DONOGHUEJ
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and carrot; cook and stir until onion is tender and transparent. Stir in the sugar, red pepper and mushrooms and continue to cook until onion is browned.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir to blend. Cook for 1 minute then mix in the water and tomato paste. Season with basil and thyme. Mix in the beans and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a greased casserole dish.
- Pour the remaining oil into a shallow dish. Dip one side of each slice of bread in the oil, then arrange on top of the casserole with the oiled side up. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bread and cheese are toasted.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 421 cal
- 13.7 g
- 59.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (8)Rate This Recipe
"My husband really liked this, and it's easy to make. I used a 7x11 casserole. I have no idea how you can fit 1/2 a pound of bread on the top, though. Next time I will try it with mashed potatoes ins..." See moretead of bread."
"Good recipe for a cold night. I did swap out the french loaf for a whole wheat bread and added some romano with the parmesan...." See more"
Calico Bean Casserole
Chicken and Black Bean Casserole
Just swipe to see more like this.