Linda's Irish Shepherd's Pie27 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 min
“This is a delicious potato and meat pie topped with bubbly cheese. We love this pie that my wife surprised me with one night. She used to make it back home in Ireland.” - by ERLENSEE_GERMANY
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Place the potatoes in a pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until tender. Drain and mash with desired amounts of milk and butter. Set aside.
- While the potatoes are cooking, crumble the ground beef into a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until meat is no longer pink.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Melt the margarine in a small pan. Stir in the flour. Cook and stir over medium heat until dark brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool off the heat then gradually stir in the consomme, ketchup and browning sauce until smooth. Set over medium heat and simmer until thick.
- Stir the sauce into the ground beef and transfer to a casserole dish. Top with mashed potato, then sprinkle the cheese over the potato.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until potatoes are toasted and cheese is melted.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 967 cal
- 44.6 g
- 94.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (27)Rate This Recipe
"I'm not sure what makes this 'Irish' as traditional cottage pies - shepherd's pies are made with ground lamb, cottage pies with ground beef - always have a mashed potato topping. I made the meat filli..." See moreng as the recipe stated, but found it incredibly bland and watery. I added onion powder, lots of ground black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and some Bisto gravy granules. This improved it, but I wish I had added some peas or green beans. Thanks anyway."
"sooo yummy!! I really love this recipe. I have been making it for everyone I know. Not only is it easy to make, if you put cheese on top, it is the most beautiful sight-----a keeper for sure!!..." See more"
Irish Shepherd's Pie
Laurie's Shepherd's Pie
Just swipe to see more like this.