Charleston Breakfast Casserole334 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 50 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 20 min
“An easy, crowd-pleasing breakfast or brunch idea. Try playing with the ingredients to dress it up or down, depending on your occasion.” - by Scott M.
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Melt butter in the microwave, or in a small pan on the stove over low heat. Spray a 9x12 inch baking dish with vegetable spray. Place croutons in the bottom of the dish, and drizzle with melted butter. Sprinkle with grated Cheddar cheese.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, whisking to break up the yolks. Add milk, peppers, mustard, salt, and pepper, and beat until well-combined. Pour over the croutons and cheese, and sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to stand 10 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 388 cal
- 29.3 g
- 10.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (334)Rate This Recipe
"I prepared two of these casseroles and used flavored croutons. I prepared one and immediately baked it and the other I let sit over night. The one that sat over night was superior by far! It had a..." See more ton more flavor. I also chose to add a little more milk and a few extra eggs to the one I let sit overnight. Also added extra cheese. You can never have enought cheese."
"Ok, here goes. I love, love, love this, however, my family is trying to eat healthier so I made some changes. First I omitted the butter entirely and used 1 egg plus 1 1/2 cups Egg Beaters. I used ..." See morehalf regular cheese and half fat free cheese, fat free croutons and 1/2 C lower sodium, real bacon bits. I prepared it the night before and cooked for about an hour in a 9x13 pan and did not adjust the milk at all. It turned out wonderful (not soggy) and this altered version is so much healthier. I got 8 servings and froze some so I coukd just pull them out of the freezer and reheat in the microwave for a midweek breakfast. They reheated wonderfully in the microwave. Thank you so much!"
"I am testing out brunch recipes for the party I am having New Year's Eve and husband and I both agreed that this was very good. I chose this one over the other bacon/sausage casseroles because of the..." See more ingredients that I felt would give it more flavor......i.e. the flavored croutons and mustard. What a great touch! I used caesar salad croutons since thats what I had. I halved the recipe, however, since it was just hubby and I and made it in an 8x8 pan. Perfect for half the ingredients, which leads me to agree with another reviewer.....if making the full recipe in a 9x13, you should do 1.5 times the recipe, otherwise it will be a bit flat. At first I thought the bacon was too much, even at 6 slices for halved recipe, but it was perfect! I used red pepper since hubby doesn't like green.......has a very nice presentation and slices up well. Oh I still had to cook the full 40 min. even though I halved the recipe. Very tasty! Thanks for sharing. Unless I find a better one, this will make an appearance at the party."
Christmas Breakfast Sausage Casserole
Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
Just swipe to see more like this.