Lentil Rice and Veggie Bake70 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“This delicious vegan recipe can be quickly thrown together from things you probably already have in the kitchen.” - by AMEZELL
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Place the rice and 1 cup water in a pot, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes. Place lentils in a pot with the remaining 1 1/2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Cook 15 minutes, or until tender.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and stir in the onion and garlic. Mix in tomato, celery, carrots, zucchini, and 1/2 the tomato sauce. Season with 1/2 the basil, 1/2 the oregano, 1/2 the cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender.
- In a casserole dish, mix the rice, lentils, and vegetables. Top with remaining tomato sauce, and sprinkle with remaining basil, oregano, and cumin.
- Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until bubbly.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 187 cal
- 1.5 g
- 35.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (70)Rate This Recipe
"I LOVED this dish. I'm sure it would have been great as written, but I made a few changes and it came out really well: I diluted a can of garlic & basil pizza sauce to use in place of the tomato sauc..." See moree, doubled the oregano, basil, and cumin, and added a few drops of hot sauce to the vegetable mixture. I also cooked the rice in vegetable broth instead of plain water and added 1/2 tsp. of onion powder to the broth for even more flavour. Thanks for the great recipe!"
"This was good, but nothing spectacular. I cooked the rice and lentils in the same pot, and instead of sprinkling the second half of the spices over top, I mixed them into the remaining tomato sauce. I..." See morenstead of a fresh tomato, I used half a can of petite diced tomatoes. This has a great combination of vegetables, but I think it could benefit from a little extra tomato sauce on top, or perhaps some cayenne pepper in with the spices. Still, I thought this was pretty good, very healthy and I'll probably make it again."
"I was soooo tempted to add cheese to this final product, but resisted that urge to keep it healthier. Like others suggested, I used canned tomatoes. I also put in a whole mix of veggies - broccoli, ca..." See morerrots, zucchini, summer squash, green beans and the onion & canned tomatoes. Super simple & tasty!"
Vegan Red Lentil Soup
Homemade Black Bean Veggie Burgers
Just swipe to see more like this.