The Wessel Cake8 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 15 min
“This is an old family recipe guarded as a state secret for over 100 years. It is too good not to be shared. Nutty cake bottom with chocolate mousse-like cream topping. Rich, delicate and always a success! Refrigerates well. The cake bottom may be frozen.” - by TRULY SCRUMPTIOUS
Original recipe yields 1 10-inch cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Stir together the almond meal and white sugar; set aside. In a large clean glass or metal bowl, whip the egg whites to stiff peaks. Fold in the sugar and nuts. Pour into a 10-inch springform pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool over a wire rack, and remove from pan.
- Microwave the chocolate in a small bowl, stirring every 30 seconds until melted and smooth. Stir together the instant coffee and hot water, then stir them into the melted chocolate; set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually blend the chocolate mixture into the creamed mixture until fluffy and spreadable. Spread over the cooled cake.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 440 cal
- 27.1 g
- 44.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (8)Rate This Recipe
"Well, I guess this 100 year old secret family recipe is still remaining a secret. I'm still trying to figure where the "mousse-like" creme topping went. I'm not a novice cook or baker by any means, ye..." See moret my thirteen year old daughter and I went over the directions several times to see where we may have gone wrong. The topping was nothing more than thickened melted chocolate. Was the butter supposed to be right from the fridge and not room temp? Was there supposed to be beaten egg white in the topping? Anyway, the kids thought it was acceptable, however, hubby and I thought it was way too sweet for our taste. I don't think I'll be making this again."
"Something must be missing! I made the cake as instructed, was high like a souffle when I took it out of the oven, immediately fell to less than half, mousse-like topping was only melted chocolate, et..." See morec. Not what it was stated to be"
Flourless Chocolate Cake II
Perfect Flourless Orange Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.