Grandmother Stougaard's Caramel Pecan Sweet Rolls42 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 3 hr 30 min
“This is an Stougaard old family favorite. Not the easiest to make, but well worth the trouble. Gooey and sweet. Best eaten fresh from the oven. I usually double the recipe because if you go to the trouble to make yeast rolls - make lots. Milk can also be warmed in the microwave.” - by Snuffles
Original recipe yields 12 rolls
- Pour the milk into a small saucepan, and set over medium heat. Heat just until a skin starts to form on the top, then remove from the stove, and stir in salt and 1/4 cup margarine. Allow to cool to lukewarm.
- Place 1/8 cup of warm water in a small bowl. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Sprinkle yeast over the surface, and let stand until foamy, 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cooled milk mixture and the yeast for 2 minutes using an electric mixer on medium speed. Add egg, and mix well. Use a large wooden spoon to stir in flour 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition until the mixture forms a dough. Knead on a floured surface, adding more flour if necessary, until dough is smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Place in an oiled bowl, and turn once to coat the top. Cover, and let rise until doubled in size, 1 to 2 hours.
- Punch down dough, and let rest on the counter while you prepare the caramel topping. In a medium bowl, mix together the corn syrup, 1 1/2 tablespoons of water, 3 tablespoons of margarine and brown sugar until smooth. Spread an even layer onto the bottom of a 9x9 inch baking dish. Place pecan halves upside down in rows over the sugar mixture. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to a 9x12 inch rectangle Spread with 2 tablespoons of margarine. Mix together 1/4 cup of sugar with the cinnamon; sprinkle over the margarine. Roll the dough up starting at the long end to form a log. Pinch the seam together to seal. Cut the roll into 1 inch rounds. Place the rounds into the prepared baking dish. Set in a warm place to rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake rolls for 20 to 25 minutes in the oven, until golden brown. Invert baking pan onto a cutting board or a clean cookie sheet while still warm so the caramel topping is on top.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 294 cal
- 12.6 g
- 42 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (42)Rate This Recipe
"My husband and I made these and loved them! The only problem was the one we caused, we doubled the topping recipe and it caused the caramel to remain gritty. (It doesn't melt completely.) Follow th..." See moree exact recipe and they are wonderful!"
"I'm thrilled to be the first to rate this recipe! These are the BEST cinnamon rolls I've made on this site! As for being time consuming, they are no more than any other cinnamon roll recipe. I had ori..." See moreginally planned to frost them, but they are perfect without. My husband who doesn't usually like sweets, can't get enough of these. The only change I made was chopping the pecans instead of leaving them whole. You've got a real winner here. Thanks so much for submitting."
Sweet Dinner Rolls
Mrs. Baker's Sticky Cinnamon Rolls
Just swipe to see more like this.