Giovanna's Yummy Cheese Onions22 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 26 min
- Ready In: 56 min
“A layered dish of onions, bread crumbs and a velvety Monterey Jack cheese sauce. Given to me by my friend, Giovanna, this recipe has become a staple in our house. It's great alone for a snack, or as a side dish.” - by ELIZASMUM
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add sliced onions, and cook until wilted and soft, but not browned. Set aside.
- Melt the remaining butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Mix in the flour, salt, pepper, and dry mustard. Cook stirring for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk, stirring constantly until thickened. Add cheese, and cook, stirring until melted. Set aside.
- Spread half of the onions into the bottom of a 1 quart casserole dish or 11x7 baking dish. Spoon half of the sauce over the onions, then sprinkle with half of the bread crumbs. Repeat layering, and spray the top layer of bread crumbs with cooking spray.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, then turn on the broiler, and broil for 1 minute, until the top is golden brown.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 475 cal
- 28.6 g
- 41.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (22)Rate This Recipe
"Many thanks to Giovanna!! This is fabulous, I just served this at our Easter dinner (with ham) and everyone in my family enjoyed it, most had seconds. We are all pretty much onion lovers anyway but ne..." See morever have I had onions fixed this way. I followed the recipe to a tee, I did strain the onions because there was quite a bit of liquid in the pan that I thought should not end up in the sauce...glad I did, it was just perfect!!!"
"This recipe rated 5 stars with me - and I'm a hard marker! It came out of the oven hot and creamy - slightly browned on the top. The family raved about it - even my daughter who dislikes onions. Use..." See mored Ritz crackers rather than breadcrumbs. I think the secret to making this dish is to cook the sliced onions with a gentle saute first - take your time! When they start becoming translucent - thats when they are ready. This receipe will be a keeper in this house."
Caramelized Onions on the Grill
Kartoshnik with Cheese and Onions
Just swipe to see more like this.