Squash and Pork Chops15 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 1 hr 5 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 25 min
“This is such a simple yet delicious main dish, perfect for an autumn dinner.” - by Joanie
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Sift salt and pepper into flour, and rub onto both sides of pork chops, shaking off any excess. Heat shortening in a large skillet over medium high heat. Brown chops on both sides, reducing heat if necessary, and working in two batches depending on the size of your skillet. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Peel squash, and slice crosswise into 1/8 inch thick slices. Arrange 1/2 the slices in the bottom of a baking dish. Place pork chops over squash, and top with remaining slices.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. In a bowl, stir remaining 2 tablespoons flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt together with ginger and thyme; add to butter, and stir. Cook for 3 minutes, then very gradually whisk in chicken broth, avoiding any lumps. Continue to cook and stir until slightly thickened, then stir in onion. Pour over chops and squash, and cover with foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until squash is tender and pork is no longer pink inside.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 204 cal
- 11.4 g
- 13.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (15)Rate This Recipe
"Mmm, mmm good. We could have used more than the one smallish squash I used, as our pork chops were pretty big. I blanched the squash to make it easier to peel and really could have made the slices a..." See moret least 1/4" thick to keep them from overcooking. Used seasoned salt, doubled the other spices, added some marojam and poultry seasoning. Then used the chop drippings for half the butter and browned the onion before adding the flour, spices, and broth. This was a major hit. Next time I will double the squash and cut thicker, but it was still *so* good."
"I put the chops, squash and sauce into a casserole dish, covered at baked as directed. The pork was tender, the squash was mushy and the overall dish lacked flavor. If I make this again I will cut t..." See morehe squash much thicker and add more seasoning. This was very easy to prepare."
Gouda and Spinach Stuffed Pork Chops
Barbecued Pork Chops
Just swipe to see more like this.