- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 3 hr 50 min
- Ready In: 4 hr 10 min
“Donairs are a delicacy prevalent in the Canadian east coast, and certainly centered on the City of Halifax, the are very simple to prepare and very delicious. Make a double batch of the meatloaf, and freeze the second loaf for later, if fact the second loaf will be better! When cold you can slice it thinner and fry up the slices in the frying pan as you need them.” - by SABMAN
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ground beef, bread crumbs, cayenne pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, ground black pepper, and salt. Press into an 8x8 inch square baking dish, or casserole dish.
- Bake for 2 hours in the preheated oven, until cooked through. Set aside to cool for at least 1/2 hour, the meat will slice even better if it is actually chilled completely.
- To make the sauce, combine the evaporated milk, sugar and vinegar in a jar with a lid, and shake well to blend. Set aside to thicken.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, and slice off thin slices of the meat loaf. Fry the slices briefly in the hot skillet, until browned on each side. Remove from the skillet, and keep warm. Flick a little water onto the hot skillet, and brown the pita breads a little on each side to soften.
- Load up one side of pitas with meat slices, tomatoes and onion. Spoon sauce over the filling, and fold pitas in half, then towards the center. Voila, you're eating!
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 517 cal
- 14.6 g
- 67.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (27)Rate This Recipe
"firstly u should never use low fat canned milk, always use whole can milk. never mix the sauce in a plastic bowl, it wont set up. the ingredients listed are good but it is missing the most important o..." See morene (ground oregano).per pound of ground beef u should use 1 tsp. also when making this recipe italian seasoning is needed, .5 tsp. per 1 lb. as far as the sauce goes try 1 can milk 3/4 cup sugar,2tsp. garlic powder mix this well,then add between 4-6tsp. white vinegar. mix the vinegar in slowly it will make 4 thicker sauce.i find that u need a bit of fat in the meat 4 the spices 2 fully spread out therefore medium works better"
"this is a great donair recipe, but you have to put in oregano.I usally make about 3lbs at a time.Do not use low fat milk. When making the sauce alway mix equal amounts of sugar and can milk , ( mix th..." See moreem with garlic powder to taste) mix well then add vinigar 1 tlbsp at a time but still stir slowly keep adding vinigar by the tlbsp till thick.I also like to eat mine on tortilla wraps with some greenpepper added to everything else.You can also make a pizza with this meat.Use a pizza crust spread sauce all over ,then put some meat on it ,springle with onions and tomatoes and top with mos-cheese and a bit more sauce.Heat till cheese melts and enjoy. If you freeze the meat cut it up first and put a few slices between freezer paper. then you can take out what you want when you want it."
"I too have not lived in Halifax for 6 years now, but managed to find a donair recipe a couple years back. This recipe is good, but try this for improvement; for the meat add a teaspoon of oregano, fo..." See morer the sauce use 2 tablespoons of vinegar and also add 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder. Don't use a jar...add the vinegar last and quickly and don't stir too much, this will make it thicker. No this is not pizza corner, but my is it a good fix :)"
Hamburger Steak with Onions and Gravy
Herald's Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie
Just swipe to see more like this.