Date and Orange Slice Bars2 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 1 hr
“These are awesome cookies - My mother used to make these every Christmas!” - by lisajdunn
Original recipe yields 24 bar cookies
- In a saucepan combine the dates, 1/2 cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons of flour, and water. Bring to a boil, and cook until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the shortening and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Dissolve the baking soda in hot water, then stir into the creamed mixture. Combine 1 3/4 cups of flour and salt; stir into the batter just until blended.
- Spread half of the batter in the bottom of the prepared pan. Cover with a layer of orange slice candy, then spread the date mixture over the orange candy. Cover with the remaining batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown. Cool, and cut into bars.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 271 cal
- 7 g
- 51.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
"I found the candy layer very unappealing...the bar had a strange mix of textures to me........" See more"
Orange Date Pinwheel Cookies
Date Bars I
Just swipe to see more like this.