South African Malvapoeding (Marshmallow Pudding)26 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 20 min
“This rich, South African pudding contains no marshmallows, but probably got its name from its spongy texture! Delicious served hot or cold with cream.” - by HYNCH
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a small saucepan over low heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter or margarine together with vinegar and milk. Remove from heat, and set aside. Meanwhile, sift flour, baking soda, and salt together into a separate bowl.
- Beat 1 cup sugar and eggs with an electric mixer on high speed until fluffy and light colored, about 5 minutes. Gradually mix in the apricot jam. Fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture alternately with warmed milk mixture using a spatula. Pour batter into a greased, 1 quart oven-proof baking dish.
- Bake approximately 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Place cream, butter, 1/2 cup sugar, and water in a saucepan and stir over moderate heat until the butter has melted and sugar is dissolved. Do not allow the mixture to boil.
- Remove pudding from the oven, pierce several times with a skewer or fork, and pour the hot cream mixture immediately over the pudding. Serve hot or cold.
Amount Per Serving (10 total)
- 396 cal
- 21.9 g
- 47.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (26)Rate This Recipe
"Not reviewing this recipe, but answering LORRAINE32's question ... superfine sugar is NOT confectioner's sugar. It is like granulated sugar but with much smaller pieces ... I make my own by putting g..." See moreranulated sugar in a food processor until it's finer, and it works great. Also, cake flour comes in a box in the grocery store near the other flours; not sure exactly how it's different from all-purpose flour, but it is - and it IS different from a cake mix."
"My husband made this for me after seeing it made on an Oprah show. Halfway through baking he poured the sauce on it like shown on the show. He used seedless blackberry preserves instead because I don'..." See moret like apricot. It was wonderful! I am begging him to make for me w/lemon curd! As a tip to others, cake flour is just fine sifted flour. Superfine sugar can be made by giving your regular sugar a zip in the food processor."
"Really yummy recipe...Just to clear things up, the word "pudding" in British/South African English means "dessert", so all you Americans out there can stop being confused by the description already. U..." See morese regular flour if you want, and put your sugar in the blender to make it superfine. Follow the instructions and you won't go wrong! Thanks!"
Sticky Toffee Pudding Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.