Portobello Pot Pie43 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 30 min
“Flavorful vegetarian pot pie with a mushroom gravy and portabello chunk filling.” - by JOHN DAILEY
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Press one of the pie crusts into and up the sides of a 9 inch pie plate.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add potatoes, and cook until tender, 10 to15 minutes. Drain, and cut into cubes. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan over low heat. Add onion and shiitake mushrooms, cover, and let the mushrooms sweat for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour in the water and tamari, and bring to a boil. Whisk in rice flour, stirring until there are no lumps. Allow to simmer.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add portobello pieces, and saute briefly until mushrooms are browned on the outside. Add mushrooms to the gravy mixture along with the carrots, celery and potatoes. Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with thyme and sage. Pour the mixture into the prepared crust. Cover with the other pie crust, and crimp edges to seal. Make a few slits in the top crust to vent steam.
- Bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until crust is golden brown.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 418 cal
- 20.4 g
- 51.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (43)Rate This Recipe
"Hey, it's me, the submitter... I have noticed that a couple of people are saying that the filling is too watery, that could be due to the wrong type of flour... Rice flour absorbs a lot more water..." See more than the same amount of AP flour, if you are going to use AP flour, use more flour than the recipe calls for..."
"I am a vegetarian and live off of stir fried veggies. I believe the best way to make this work is to pre-fry all the veggies so their best flavor comes through. This was a huge hit at my potluck and I..." See more'm making it for Christmas this year! Gruyere cheese, sherry, broth and cornstarch are my additions to make it lovely and so, so flavorful. To die for! -Fry the onions in the olive oil until they start to carmelize. -Add the carrots and celery and cook for about 5 minutes. -Add all the mushrooms and stir-fry together with the other veggies until they are all browned, tender, and fragrant. If the carrots and celery are still a little too firm, they'll soften as the pie bakes. -Add 1/2 C Sherry and the tamari. Whisk in about 1 T cornstarch (as you would the rice flour) and simmer until the mixture starts the thicken and bubble. -At this point, add the potatoes and whisk in as much veggie stock as you need to reach a desirable consistency. -Grate in about a 1/4 C Gruyere cheese! The filling is done. Prepare the pie as you would according to the recipe. Grate a little gruyere cheese over the top before popping it into the oven and you will be in heaven! "
"This recipe was perfect veg. recipe. My boyfriend and I are not vegetarian though his mother and sister are and this was wonderful. Everyone raved about it. Though by following the recipe I made enoug..." See moreh for 3 pies. So I ended up baking it in a casserole dish. I paired it with grilled asparagus tossed in olive oil, and lightly seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic. Delecious!"
Turkey Pot Pie I
Holiday Chicken Pot Pie
Just swipe to see more like this.