Qabali - Afghani Rice9 Reviews
- Prep: 1 hr
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 40 min
“This recipe is Afghani cooking - its a rice dish that's very popular and very delicious. Serve with a nice meat sauce.” - by SWEETER THAN HONEY
Original recipe yields 16 servings
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Place rice in a large bowl, rinse, and then soak in cold water for 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add carrots and 1 teaspoon sugar; cook, stirring frequently, until tender. Stir in raisins, and continue cooking until the raisins are soft and plump. Remove from heat, and set aside to cool.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Strain rice, and then add to boiling water. Cook for about 5 minutes, then strain with a mesh strainer.
- In a small saucepan, heat 1/2 cup oil and 1 tablespoon sugar. Cook until sugar dissolves completely, making a syrup. Remove from heat , and cool. Once cool, add 1 cup water, and return to a boil.
- Return the rice to pan. Stir in carrots and raisins, and then mix in oil and sugar syrup. Season with saffron, cinnamon, cardamom, black pepper, and cumin. Poke some holes with a spoon all over the rice. Cover, and cook over high heat until you hear crackling noises. Remove from heat.
- Bake, covered, in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and toss rice with a fork.
Amount Per Serving (16 total)
- 279 cal
- 10.1 g
- 44.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (9)Rate This Recipe
"This recipe has errors in it that cause peoples' rice to become "mushy" or displeasing. It is because of the wrong instructions given. You should never soak or wash the rice in cold water as directed..." See more, because cold water will disrupt the cooking process when the rice finally enters the boiling water. You should soak the rice in luke warm to room temp water. And further more, you should NOT boil the rice for 15 minutes, this is called "over-cooking" this is why your rice will come out mushy. You should only boil the water for 5minutes. It depends how long you soaked it, the longer you soak it the shorter time it needs to be boiled. If you soak it for 30minutes you should boil until 10min max. But if soak for more than 30min then please only boil for 5 minutes and then transfer to oven. The recipe given above is wrong and not in conformity with how good Qabuli or even good rice is made, that is why too many people are coming up with "mushy" rice."
"The first time I made this recipe I tossed it; the rice was mush, but it had a good flavor. I made it again, cooking the rice for 3 minutes after returning the water to boil. I also skipped making t..." See morehe sugar syrup with oil. I tried that twice and had carmelized sugar in oil both times. Instead after mixing the rice and carrot together with the spices, I sprinkled on the sugar and proceded as written."
Indian Style Basmati Rice
Just swipe to see more like this.