- Prep: 1 hr
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 2 hr
“A traditional Syrian yeast bread, this is a family recipe that has been passed down from generation to generation. It is simple and delicious, great with stews and hearty meals, or grilled with jam.” - by PLAINSIGHT
Original recipe yields 12 loaves
- Dissolve sugar in about 1 cup of the water. Sprinkle the yeast over the top. Let stand for about 10 minutes, until foamy.
- In a large bowl, mix together the yeast mixture, water, oil, and about half of the flour until well blended. Gradually mix in the rest of the flour until the dough is stiff enough to take out of the bowl. Knead on a floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, and cover with a cloth. allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size. This will take 1 to 2 hours.
- Divide dough into sections about the size of a grapefruit. Form into smooth balls, cover with a cloth, and let rise again for about 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, flatten each ball to 1/2 inch thickness, pressing out with your fingers. Circles should be about 8 inches across. Place on an oiled baking sheet. Let rest for about 10 minutes, or while you preheat the oven .
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Bake rounds until the top is lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven, and brush with melted butter. Repeat with remaining bread.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 356 cal
- 2.1 g
- 72.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (1)Rate This Recipe
"JUST LIKE GRANDMAS HOWEVER I FOUND THAT IT NEEDED A COUPLE OF SECS IN THE BROILER TO BROWN...." See more"
Peppy's Pita Bread
Pan De Sal I
Just swipe to see more like this.