Texas Rice28 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 1 hr
“It is not known where this recipe originated, but it has been used as a hot dish on outings and potlucks for at least 30 years. Rice and ground beef in tomato sauce, baked under a layer of shredded cheese. A great way to feed several with hamburger, and easy to keep on hand ingredients. Leftovers can be made into quick roll-ups by microwaving in a tortilla.” - by WGADSTAR
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Combine rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of drippings, crumble and set aside. Add ground beef, green pepper, and onion to the skillet; cook over medium-high heat until the beef is evenly browned. Drain excess grease, and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Place beef and cooked rice into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Stir in the tomatoes, bacon and reserved drippings, mixing until everything is well blended. Spread the shredded cheese over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until cheese is bubbly, and the center is heated through.
Amount Per Serving (10 total)
- 391 cal
- 17.4 g
- 33.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (28)Rate This Recipe
"This recipe would be something that my grandma from the Ozarks would make. It was hearty, flavorful and easy to make. Bacon and its grease isn't an ingredient that I cook with often, while watching my..." See more family's fat intake, but it sure makes this combo especially yummy. I will make this again, especially if I'm having my inlaws over for dinner."
"I prepared it as written, and added some ClubHouse TexMex seasoning, but we still found it bland. It needs something else. It was okay, but not very exciting. I will have to tweak it if I make it a..." See moregain."
"Very hardy dish. I pretty well followed the recipe but made a few changes. I regret to say I forgot to add the bacon, I didn't realize it until the cheese was sprinkled on. I added a can of corn an..." See mored a can of black beans (rinsed and drained). I am a big fan of tomato products so I used 2 cans of diced tomatoes with chilies. When adding salt and pepper I added a few more spices. I threw in some cumin, chili powder and a little dried red peppers. Ended up with a little zip to the flavor. I will make this again."
Ann's Dirty Rice
Ground Beef and Rice with Cheese
Just swipe to see more like this.