Sweet and Spicy Chocolate Cake5 Reviews
“Wonderfully rich, chocolate cake with a twist. The crystallized ginger, chunks of bittersweet chocolate, and dried apricots mixed into the batter make this cake very special. It is like finding treasure in every bite.” - by Syd
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Sift together flour, cocoa, and baking powder.
- Soak chopped apricots in boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes. Drain, and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix almond paste and sugar with an electric mixer until the mixture looks sandy. Beat in eggs one at a time; beat for 2 minutes after each addition. Continue beating for about 10 minutes; mixture should look thick and creamy.
- Mix in milk, and then flour mixture. Mix only to combine the dry with the wet ingredients. Do not overbeat. Fold in apricots, chocolate, crystallized ginger, and melted butter. Transfer batter to prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour, until done. Cool for 10 minutes in pan. Remove from pan, and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 374 cal
- 19.8 g
- 46 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (5)Rate This Recipe
"Though I like this cake, I give it a four because despite the ingredients, it was not very flavourful unless you aged it. For the first few days of the life of this cake, it was quite unexceptional an..." See mored bland. My only diversion from the recipe was instead of adding plain chocolate pieces, I had added chocolate with chile peppers because I wanted something with deep ethnic flavour. I topped the cake with marscapone cheese, papaya's, and strawberries. I couldn't even taste chocolate the first day I baked it. So I put it away, and then a week later heated it up again, and it was one of the best chocolate cakes I have ever had! I recommend this recipe completely, if you have the patience to age the cake for the fine flavors to come out."
"This is my grandmother's cake. Very moist, and delicious - I think this cake cake appeals to grownups more than to children. There are a lot of flavors here, and my children have more simple tastes. I..." See moret was really fun to make. I made it in a small bundt pan."
German Sweet Chocolate Cake I
German Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.