Zulandt's Lentil Casserole29 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 2 hr 5 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 20 min
“A hearty comfort casserole of brown rice and lentils, topped off with melted Cheddar cheese and bread crumbs.” - by DONNA
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- In a saucepan, bring water and bouillon cubes to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 50 minutes, or until rice is tender and all liquid has been absorbed.
- Heat oil in a stockpot over medium-high heat. Cook zucchini and onion until tender, but still slightly firm, about 5 minutes. Stir in cumin, oregano, lentils, and about 6 cups water gradually. Bring to a soft boil, and continue cooking until lentils are tender, 45 to 60 minutes, adding water as needed.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Mix the cooked rice together with the lentils, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in 3/4 of the Cheddar cheese, and transfer mixture into a 9x13 inch pan. Mix remaining cheese together with the breadcrumbs, and spread evenly over the top of the dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven just until cheese has melted, about 10 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 496 cal
- 15 g
- 66.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (29)Rate This Recipe
"Don't hesitate to cook this, it's not complicated, or demanding, just needs a little fussing over to check on liquid levels, but it's well worth your time. Console yourself in the process with a nice..." See more glass of Shiraz and you won't lament your losses. I've had a yearning for a lentil casserole for weeks, perhaps months now. I am a Mum of 3 fussy eaters, but I have a very demanding palate, with a penchant for herbaceous, flavourful, spicy dishes from all corners of the globe. So only about once a week do my husband and I get to savour something WE (read "I") like. This dish was delicious. I took the advice of many of Allrecipes cook's reviews before me and added: 1 garlic clove (next time blow the expense perhaps 2), chopped carrot (next time, another veggie as well), a tin of chopped tomatoes (an essential ingredient!) and I was heavy handed with the cumin and oregano. Hearty, filling (but not fattening), wholesome, delicious, and with lots leftover for heat-up lunches and one-parent dinners. This one is a definite addition to the family cookbook."
"I thought it was yummy! I added carrots, fresh garlic, a little bit of frozen veggie mix and green onions to jazz it up a bit. Also used just a bit of breadcrumbs as I don't think much was needed. I..." See more added some chopped fresh tomato to the finished dish. Pretty good, will make again!"
"My family and guests all thought this casserole was fabulous, even my picky daughter. I did omit the zucchini because we are not big fans. Next time around, I will not use as much bread crumbs on top..." See more, but that did not affect the fantastic flavor of this dish. Don't be shy with the seasonings!"
Spicy Italian Sausage and Lentil Casserole
Just swipe to see more like this.