Creamy Mushroom Risotto33 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 55 min
“This variation on mushroom risotto includes cream of mushroom soup for the creamy taste, without actually using heavy cream. A light hand is recommended with the thyme and basil. If you like, stir in freshly grated parmesan cheese before serving.” - by Kathy
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Place dried mushrooms into a small bowl, and cover with hot water; soak 10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, and gently squeeze dry with paper towels. Chop mushrooms, and set aside.
- Scoop cream of mushroom soup into a bowl, and gradually stir in boiling water until mixture is smooth but not runny.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the stock to a gentle simmer.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in onion, garlic, and chopped mushrooms; cook about 3 minutes. Gradually stir in rice; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly to coat rice with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in thyme and basil to taste.
- Pour in the mushroom soup mixture, stirring until absorbed. Gradually add 1/3 stock, stirring until liquid is absorbed. Continue to stir in stock gradually, 1 cup at a time, allowing the liquid to be absorbed before adding another cup. It should take about 20 minutes for all the stock to be absorbed and the rice becomes al dente (tender but firm to the bite).
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 337 cal
- 6.3 g
- 61.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (33)Rate This Recipe
"This is not risotto. Risotto does not contain any cream. It is "creamy" in texture because of the starch in the rice which is drawn into the liquid due to the cooking method. That being said if you..." See more take all these ingredients and throw them into a cassarole dish and bake it in the oven you have a very nice and easy dish. Don't waste expensive rice on this though. Just use regular long grain rice."
"This came out quite good with a few alterations: I used twice as many mushrooms as called for (white button instead), a low-fat cream of mushroom soup, and cooked over LOW heat instead of medium (you ..." See moredon't want to rush risotto!). Also, grated swiss makes a great complement if you want some extra kick."
"I made this for my boyfriend, brother, and brother's new girlfriend and everyone really loved it. My brother said it was the best risotto he'd ever had! I was having a poor day though, so used (lots a..." See morend lots of)cheddar instead of parmesan, and the big wide mushrooms. Had with a crispy salad with vinaigrette, perfect."
Gourmet Mushroom Risotto
Creamy Roasted Garlic and Chives Risotto
Just swipe to see more like this.