Dee's Health Bread117 Reviews
“Whole wheat bread with sunflower seeds, cracked wheat, and honey.” - by Dee Dee
Original recipe yields 6 loaves
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup warm water. In a large bowl, mix remaining 3 1/2 cups warm water, honey, molasses, oil, eggs and lemon juice. Mix well. Add yeast mixture and stir.
- Gradually add 5 cups whole wheat flour beating well after each addition. Add the flax, cracked wheat and sunflower seeds, stir well.
- Let stand for 20 minutes, until mixture is very light. Stir in salt and the rest of the flours until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Knead 10 to 15 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Put into a greased bowl and cover, let rise in the oven with light on until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down and shape into 6 round balls. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Form into loaves and let rise covered in oven until doubled. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) 25-35 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (72 total)
- 94 cal
- 2.2 g
- 16.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (117)Rate This Recipe
"This is the BEST bread recipe! I make it at least twice a week (6 kids.) The flavor is sensational--my very favorite. A few changes to make it easier, more nutritious, and fluffier. I use 100% whole ..." See morewheat flour (no white flour) I use instant yeast and I do add 2 tbsp each of dough enhancer, lecithin, and vital wheat gluten. This bread is so light, fluffy, and delicious everybody just LOVES it. I don't do all the separate rising stages anymore, too much work, too much time, and too much mess. I just throw all the ingredients in at once, mix it up, knead it, put it in the loaf pans, (if you coat your hands with crisco this is much cleaner and easier) put them in the oven with the oven light on to rise, then when they are risen enough turn the oven on and bake them. It doesn't hurt them at all to be in the oven while it preheats. The loaves come out perfect: light, fluffy, and absolutely delicious."
"I scaled the recipe to 20 and made this in my bread machine using the 1.5lb loaf whole wheat setting. It came out excellent!The best wheat bread I have ever made in my machine and I make bread daily. ..." See moreI din't have any lemon juice so I substitued it for water and it still worked GREAT!"
"This is an excellent heavy, grain bread! The recipe was easy to follow with well-known ingredients. For anyone looking for a healthy bread recipe, I recommend this one! Also, I varied mine after I ..." See moregot to know the recipe. You can replace any of the following ingredients (flax seeds, cracked wheat, and sunflower seeds) with equivalent amounts of, old-fashioned oatmeal, sesame seeds, or even cracked bulgur cereal. For a nice, fancy touch coat your cookie sheets with yellow cornmeal (makes a nice bottom crust on the loaves)!!"
Fabulous Homemade Bread
Whole Wheat Bread I
Just swipe to see more like this.