Honey Wheat Bread I534 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 35 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 30 min
“This is a county fair blue ribbon winning loaf - it is delicate and soft.” - by Kristin Zaharias
Original recipe yields 2 - 9x5 inch loaves
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup warm water.
- Combine milk, 1/4 cup water, shortening, honey, salt and wheat flour in food processor or bowl. Mix in yeast mixture, and let rest 15 minutes. Add bread flour, and process until dough forms a ball. Knead dough by processing an additional 80 seconds in food processor, or mix and knead by hand 10 minutes. Place the dough in a buttered bowl, and turn to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rise for 45 minutes, or until almost doubled.
- Punch down, and divide dough in half. Roll out each half, and pound out the bubbles. Form into loaves, and place in buttered 9x5 inch bread pans. Butter the tops of the dough, and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm area until doubled; second rise should take about 30 minutes.
- Place a small pan of water on the bottom shelf of the oven. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until tops are dark golden brown. Butter crusts while warm. Slice when cool.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 156 cal
- 4.8 g
- 24.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (534)Rate This Recipe
"My family loves this bread! I customized it for my bread machine to make one loaf (6 oz. of evaporated milk, 2 tbsp. water, 2 tbsp. 2 tbsp. butter, 2 tbsp. honey, 1 tsp. salt, 1 cup whole wheat flour,..." See more 1 1/2 cups bread flour, 2 tsp. bread machine yeast). I also added 3 tbsp. of cracked wheat for extra texture. Delicious !!!"
"Delicious! Made this with the KitchenAid and it was a snap (kneeded on "2" with the bread hook for about 5 minutes). This bread took a long time to rise at first so I turned the oven on at 400 degre..." See morees for one minute, turned it off and put the bread in the oven. It rose very quickly. Did the same for the second rise. This bread is easy to make and delicious. I will make this again and again!"
"This is the best wheat bread recipe I have ever tried. I made it "as is" with wonderful results. The second time I increased the honey to 1/2 cup, increased the yeast to 3 tsp, and added 1/2 cup oat..." See mores, 1/4 cup wheat germ, 1/4 cup milled flax seed and 1/2 cup sunflower seeds. My husband raved over this, my 20 m.o. daughter said "yummy", and I smiled knowing how healthy it is for them. Thanks for such a delicious and adaptable recipe."
Simple Whole Wheat Bread
Butter Honey Wheat Bread
Just swipe to see more like this.