Rye Beer Bread53 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 15 hr 50 min
“The beer adds another layer of flavor to this rye loaf. Try a varity of types of beer.” - by Kitty
Original recipe yields 2 loaves
- Combine rye flour, beer, and yeast in a large bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Set out overnight. Do not refrigerate.
- The next day, add sugar, salt, shortening, and egg; beat with mixer until smooth. Stir in caraway seeds, if wanted. Add enough white bread flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth, approximately 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, and turn to oil the surface of the dough. Let rise in warm place about 1 hour, or until doubled.
- Punch down dough, and divide in half. Shape into round or oblong loaves, and place on greased baking sheets sprinkled with corn meal. Let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 30 minutes. Cool on racks.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 120 cal
- 1.7 g
- 21.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (53)Rate This Recipe
"I add dark molasses instead of the white sugar. It brings out the flavor more. Also, this bread is great with chili, soups, breakfast, and for making ham sandwiches. Try it! Sharon..." See more"
"Since finding this recipe, I rarely bake any other rye bread. I like using a very dark stout beer. With lighter beers, I add a bit of molasses...." See more"
Sauerkraut Rye Bread
German Rye Bread
Just swipe to see more like this.