Mom's Baking Powder Biscuits154 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 15 min
- Ready In: 30 min
“This is the recipe my mom always made. I like to use the butter flavored shortening, but you can use regular. Amount of biscuits you get depends on how big around you make them and the thickness. My daughter likes me to make smaller ones.” - by Jodeen Brown
Original recipe yields 2 - 3 dozen
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- In a bowl mix the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the shortening and mix until in little pieces. Add milk a little at a time and mix until it forms a ball.
- Roll out on floured board to 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch thick. Cut out in desired size and dip in melted shortening. Place biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Variation: For shortcakes add 2 tablespoons for sugar to the dough and roll dough out to 1/2 inch thick.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 66 cal
- 2.9 g
- 8.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (154)Rate This Recipe
"This is definitely a very simple recipe for biscuits! I have made these biscuits 2 ways: with shortening or with butter/margerine. When I used the shortening, it made the biscuits flaky, but when I ..." See moremade it with the butter/margerine it made the biscuits softer. All in all, this is a GREAT recipe and my husband loves them everytime I make them. This is a keeper!"
"This is a great recipe! My husband loves these. I make up the recipe as is but I make the biscuits twice as big so we can make breakfast sandwiches. I have used different types of butter/oil that I..." See more've had on hand. I works well with vegetable oil and it makes them flaky. When I use shortning or butter, it makes them more fluffy. I usually add 1/2 teasp. more of baking powder when I am making big ones. It helps to keep them from being so heavy."
J.P.'s Big Daddy Biscuits
Cheese Drop Biscuits
Just swipe to see more like this.