Bagels I112 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 25 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 55 min
“Chewy and delicious.” - by Sally
Original recipe yields 1 dozen
- Mix together the unsifted flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, yeast, water, and butter in the bread machine on the manual setting.
- OR, mix 1-1/2 cup flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, and yeast. Heat water and butter to 120-130 degrees F. Add water to dry ingredients; beat 2 minutes at medium speed on mixer. Add 1/2 cup flour, beat at high speed 2 minutes. Stir in more flour to make a stiff dough. Knead 8-10 minutes. Cover and let rise. Punch down. Cover; let rest 15 minutes.
- Remove from bread machine.
- Divide dough into 12 pieces; shape 3 pieces into smooth balls. Poke a 1 inch hole in each. Drop bagels into a large skillet with 1 inch water (simmering) with 1 tablespoon sugar and 2 teaspoons salt in the water. Cook on medium low heat for 3 minutes, turn and cook 2 minutes; turn again, cook 1 minute more. Drain on towels. Repeat for rest of dough. Place on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 20-25 minutes. Remove from sheets and cool. If desired, before baking, mix 1 egg white and 1 tablespoon water, brush on bagels, and sprinkle with sesame, poppy, or caraway seeds.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 204 cal
- 2.3 g
- 40.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (112)Rate This Recipe
"In Arizona you can't get a real New York Bagel. I made these and my man,( a New Yorker) said,"Finally a New York Bagel!"..." See more"
"Oh my GOSH!!! These were delicious. I love to make breads and had never tried bagels before so I gave this one a try. They turned out great. A couple of changes though. I only need 4 1/4 cups of flour..." See more, and to make it healthier I substituted 1/2 cup of WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR for an equal emount of all-purpose. Next time I think I'll substitute more. And I also used brown sugar for the bagels. And I also extended the baking time because 25 minutes was not entirely long enough; they were still too moist in the middle."
"Ifound that the bagles were a little salty, but I think that if you cut the salt in half that went into the water it would solve that problem, The steps were very easy to fallow, but bagles take work...." See more My son loved them but said they tasted diferent than the Bakery. I added Chocochips to mine and they were great but a little salty."
Bread Machine Bagels
Just swipe to see more like this.